Looking for Coders and Graphic Design Folks

Chat not related to Kingdoms. Keep it clean!
StarReaper

Looking for Coders and Graphic Design Folks

Post by StarReaper »

If you know any or are one yourself tell them to email me at, starreaper@starreaper.com

Looking for general Graphics and Animation, nothing to insane. Some coding and DB, and a few things like that.

S.R.
Sooth Awful

Re: Looking for Coders and Graphic Design Folks

Post by Sooth Awful »

Mail me with the exact requirements or what you want to do. Have some experience with coding, but not much.
"Hay un cierto placer en la locura, que solo el loco conoce."

DekeYoungAtlanta

Post by DekeYoungAtlanta »

I am also looking for some programmers based in the USA and willing to work on a $100 = block of time basis. - Deke
StarReaper

Post by StarReaper »

Mines not paid so call Deke first lol
Alopexdog

Post by Alopexdog »

You might want to offer something in the way of payment. Graphic Designers and Coders get * when they're expected to work for free. "Exposure" and "experience" don't pay the bills! :lol:
Alopexdog

Post by Alopexdog »

MechJosh0 wrote: We do get upset when we're told a paycheck is coming but truthfully never intend to pay us.
It's infuriating!

MechJosh0 wrote:Exposure and experience pays off in the long run ;)
LOL! I wish that mind set would change.
Alopexdog

Post by Alopexdog »

MechJosh0 wrote:
Alopexdog wrote:
MechJosh0 wrote:Exposure and experience pays off in the long run ;)
LOL! I wish that mind set would change.
What do you mean? You think I should change to asking for money instead?

I took on loads on free projects when I first started because no company wanted me due to lack of experience when I had just finished education. One of those catch 22 job experience situations :roll:
Are you serious? Of course you should be charging! Companies have this idea that "exposure" is worth it but it really isn't. In taking free work you end up devaluing yourself. It's this that I would like to see changed. Graphic designers and artists are taken advantage of a lot. It happened to me, I've had people try and convince me that I wouldn't get anywhere without "proving my worth" for free.

I understand that you shouldn't be charging top dollar while starting out, especially if you need to work on your design skills but a small fee is a must, even if it's a trade of skills. You may feel that you need this for your portfolio stuff but in my experience you are better off doing your own stuff for your portfolio, that way you can truly create something worth while without any issues. Most the free work you end up doing is unusable (clients don't always have the best taste) or in one case of mine I was not allowed to use it (note to others, always read the fine print)

This has to be one of the few areas where you're expected to do free work in the chance that you might be noticed. It's really unfair. A website can take me 40+ hours sometimes. Especially if I'm doing all graphics or sourcing photos I am actually allowed to use.

Now I'm assuming that the person here isn't looking for stuff for some high earning company but even a small token for your work should be considered.

You wouldn't not pay a trainee barista at a coffee shop, how is this any different?

Apologies for the rant!
Alopexdog

Post by Alopexdog »

MechJosh0 wrote:If you're doing it for free you get to choose who you work for.

I take on free projects that I find interesting. I'm not going to code someones business website for free. If it's a website I find interesting, it helps people, and isn't in it for making money, then I'll do it for free. If someone wants me to code a website so they can make money, I will charge.

If it's a boring project, I charge. If it's interesting and experience worthy, it's free. Why should I charge something I enjoy doing?

I use to release a heck load of free modifications for a paid-script. The modifications were things I wanted, or could see being helpful to others, I would do them for free and release them. People would email me asking for my PayPal email to send some thanks my way, but in no way would I ask for it. Sounds like you've only had bad experience.

I think you've got me wrong here. If you are picking and choosing what you're doing for free because you want to do it that is entirely different and your choice. I've done free work for things I enjoy or for good causes.

It's mainly businesses who are going to make money off your work without you getting anything in return that annoys me. If your primary job is graphic designer it gets incredibly frustrating when you're still expected to work for less than minimum wage/free 10 years out of college.

I've done free mods for things myself. I'm mainly at the graphic end of things and have designed free skins / mods for games over the years because I wanted to. This isn't the same.

I'm not trying to argue with you but from how you've been replying it sounded like you were doing free work for anyone because you felt it was the norm and that you had to in order to get anywhere. You never explained that the free work you do was because you wanted to do it or that you turn down big businesses trying to get cheap labour.
MechJosh0 wrote:It must be an uphill struggle for you to sway people to think like you. I'm sorry I do things for free because I enjoy it :lol:
I don't see what the jab at me near the end was for. I'm not trying to argue or sway anyone. Besides, school work experience is a different thing all together. Usually it's a week or two to get you to understand how the field you want to go into works. Everyone is working for free and usually nobody has any experience at all prior to work.
Alopexdog

Post by Alopexdog »

And to go back to the original post, maybe you could pay them in cats? :lol:
Alopexdog

Post by Alopexdog »

MechJosh0 wrote:
Alopexdog wrote:I don't see what the jab at me near the end was for.
Yea I do apologise for that, I have a habit for overreacting sometimes :| We were obviously thinking of each other to the extreme, you thinking I do all jobs for free and me thinking you ask for money for all jobs. Whereas we're actually on the same page :lol:
No problem! It's easily done, sometimes it's hard to tell what people actually mean through text only :-)

Return to “Off Topic”