Feedback on Domination world

All discussion related to the Domination Worlds should be posted here. This Forum has been reopened for the duration of Domination World 3.
PsychoticUK

Re: Feedback on Domination world

Post by PsychoticUK »

kwud wrote: perhaps just doubling or quadrupling everything instead of a couple things might work better.
well castles and villages build 4x quicker but resource output is still the same, for example catapults produce ~4.5 with research and ~9 with max guild, so ~10 days to make a half decent army per village, but the enemy castle is already mostly built. So if build speed is 4x then production should be 4x as well.
Odin29

Post by Odin29 »

PsychoticUK wrote:
kwud wrote: perhaps just doubling or quadrupling everything instead of a couple things might work better.
well castles and villages build 4x quicker but resource output is still the same, for example catapults produce ~4.5 with research and ~9 with max guild, so ~10 days to make a half decent army per village, but the enemy castle is already mostly built. So if build speed is 4x then production should be 4x as well.
This was left the same intentionally to encourage carding I believe. Besides, production of all goods is perfectly high, except for catapults, and they've always been the bottleneck for making big armies to destroy people. That's always been an intentional feature to make it expensive to kill a smart player. The other bottleneck of course is how rapidly you can get guys into your village. The max is 720 if you're constantly recruiting as quickly as they come to the village. I've considered suggesting that at 200 happiness you get ~8 villagers per 10 minutes, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not. I kinda like the feel of the game as it is.
Odin29

Post by Odin29 »

I've been rolling an idea around in my head in regards to the tedious and clunky nature of setting up timed attacks. I'm posting it here because I think the next Domination world would be the perfect place to test the idea. It's a rather long read, where I will discuss the pros and cons of the idea in depth.

Allow me to preface by saying that this game is amazingly fun, especially with the new domination world rule set. However, I feel that the attacking side of this game can be very clunky and tedious when it comes to fighting some of the bigger, more active players. Personally I have only had 2 villages on this world razed, and I've made a point to anger the heaviest carder on this world. The only 2 villages I had razed were villages that I had just capped and didn't have a very built castle in yet. nor did I care very much about. I feel that by day 65 of a domination world, I should have lost at least 10 villages by now. Furthermore, I haven't done a ton of razing myself, simply because of the tedious nature of setting up timed attacks. I don't know if there's anyone who finds it fun to stare at a timer for 30 minutes to an hour, or have an alarm go off and run back to the computer to hit send. It just isn't a fun portion of the game. In my opinion, this makes setting up timed attacks less a test of skill and more a test of patience and tolerance for tedium.

With that being said, I suggest a feature is implemented to allow attacks to be slowed down to land at a selected time after when they would land if they are launched immediately. For example, if you're launching an attack that will take 35 minutes to reach it's target, and it's 9:20 server time, but you want the attack to land at 10:00, instead of waiting until 9:25 to launch, you could simply select "land at a later time" and select "10:00 server time" then press launch. The attack would simply move slightly slower and land at the selected time.

Now, before you tar and feather me for this idea, let me explain my rationality behind the suggestion and the pros and cons, especially in a domination world. Firstly, anyone with a stopwatch (available for free online) and a 4th grade math education can set up a timed attack, but as I mentioned it's just tedious and clunky. Secondly, for the dedicated fighters, the limiting factor isn't syncing up timed attacks (especially not on the domination world where you can have so many villages and vassals,) it's the catapults. So the limiting factor stays the same, you simply remove the tedium of doing it. You also remove the frustrating possibility of something outside of the game preventing you from launching at the correct time, such as latency / internet issues or your kid asking you for help with their homework 30 seconds before you're supposed to launch. Lastly, people who feel that a domination world would be just too brutal for them might change their mind, thus bringing new players to this amazing world. Let's face it, when us none carders first read the post about the domination world, it seemed very intimidating, but if more casual players knew they could still contribute to their house without having to treat it like a job, they would undoubtedly be much more inclined to play on this world type.

Now, let's look at some pros and cons:

Pros -
-Significantly reduces the boring / tedious / clunky portions of fighting so more attention can be spent doing the fun things, like watching the reports of your armies decimating your enemies or building another army to attack again.

-Makes the world much more appealing to more casual players, which is helpful all around. More players is always good for a world, especially one that seems somewhat scarcely populated like the current domination world.

-Encourages more fighting on a world designated entirely for fighting.

-Gives even the hardest players that uneasy feeling, like they could be razed at any moment. Exactly the point of the Domination World :)

-Reinforces the bottleneck for battle being catapults, promoting the purchase of cards.

-Easier to set up timed attacks with allies, promoting team work and cooperation with your faction / house.

Cons -
-It requires less work to raze a village, which will undoubtedly result in more of the "hardcore" players getting razed. I do not view this as a con, though others might.

-Might make the game too "casual friendly" although I personally think this world needs more casual style players.

I really can't think of any cons beyond that. Other than the pride hit from a hardcore player who gets razed by someone he views as a "noob."

What do you guys think? Let's discuss this :).
Odin29

Post by Odin29 »

I should also add that if the idea I just listed is implemented, another idea should be implemented to help counter it for the heavy carders. I'm not a heavy carder, but I've talked to people who spend a ton of money on this game. When being attacked, they're forced to "spam" their knights or castle repair cards. This is also a system I feel is clunky, tedious, and not fun. Instead, allow cards like "knight charge" or "desperate defense" to stack. As in, if you have 10 attacks incoming, you can play 10 desperate defense cards and they will simply trigger in succession, one for each attack. The same could go for the knight cards. This would allow the hardcore / heavy carders an advantage to help counter balance the advantage the more casual players would get from the idea above.
kwud

Post by kwud »

Your suggestions make me sick.

if what you suggest ever came to pass the game world become boring, even more tedious, than waiting to time up, people would lose things to complain about, it would be way to easy to do anything.

I can't even enjoy thoughts about what your suggesting. just because your lazy and don't want to do your own work doesnt mean you need to suggest something so unbalancing to the game,

"heavy carders would get razed more often" NO THEY WOULDNT< this system would mean those heavy carders: who can CARD and army in SECONDS, can now raze everyone they want without effort or skill, without THINKING basically.

"stops internet etc from stopping you from launching attacks" Stuff happens, live with it. sometimes ITS A GOOD THING, maybe you were about to be razed and then the attacks kid distracts him and his 300 catapult hit doesnt hit first suddenly his armies splat on your walls.

YOUR IDEA OFFER NO MERIT TO GAMEPLAY< IT MAKES LAZINESS AN ASSET. THIS WOULD NEVER GET IMPLEMENTED BECAUSE ITS JUST BLOODY INSANE.

ITS ALSO UNREALISTIC, YOU DONT GET TO DECIDE YOUR ARMIES SHOULD MOVE SLOWER, ITS EITHER PREDETERMINED OR SPED UP, YOU WANT SLOW TROOPS JUST DONT RESEARCH ARMY SPEED.

on a side note. i have a better idea,

lets add more units, like giants and werewolves and such, you know the stuff from other stronghold games

pros: new cards for profit
-people are impressed with new looking troops
-new researchs
-NEW STRATEGIES
new defences

cons: we dont get to time attacks automatically by setting up a slowdown on your army.
countjimula

Post by countjimula »

Odin29 I am with kwud and think that idea will kill a lot of the fun in this game to make it a little easier.

-It will in no way balance the power, the players with the most vassals and allies will be even stronger than they are now.

-It takes out almost all the skill required to send effective attacks

-attacks would be so easy they would become far more common making the game frustrating, and building a castle almost pointless.

-Right now a player can only use about 1/3 of their vassal troops for any one attack due to their location, what will happen when they can virtually use all of them for any attack.

-no fun in getting the attacks times up right

-no fun in wondering if the enemy would ID, or if you will be attacked between sending armies

-almost no time to ID before the enemy sends out all their attacks

-If you are fighting an enemy that is just too lazy to send out attacks, or has no idea how to send them effectively, the way they have to be done now, I think you deserve to win.

I can go on but I think I have made my point
We need more incentives to help prevent one house world rule in this game!

Thread here:
http://forum.strongholdkingdoms.com/vie ... 16&t=24768
AuKhan

Post by AuKhan »

The real issue is that castles need to be stronger, so that razing and capture are not so easy.

Now, people either ID for complete safety, which takes their castle out of play,
or they go fully exposed, making their cardboard castle an easy instant raze when offline.

Stronger castles would make the game more interesting as people would use less ID, making combat targets more available.
The war would shift to prolonged slugfests between castles, using ransacking to wear an enemy down.
And you could go offline with greater confidence of having something still there when you return.
kwud

Post by kwud »

AuKhan wrote:The real issue is that castles need to be stronger, so that razing and capture are not so easy.

Now, people either ID for complete safety, which takes their castle out of play,
or they go fully exposed, making their cardboard castle an easy instant raze when offline.

Stronger castles would make the game more interesting as people would use less ID, making combat targets more available.
The war would shift to prolonged slugfests between castles, using ransacking to wear an enemy down.
And you could go offline with greater confidence of having something still there when you return.
what does this comment have to do with domination world where interdiction does not exist?
AuKhan

Post by AuKhan »

ID is just part of the point. With or without ID the issue remains.
Weak castles are the same issue of being easily and instantly razed.
The game would be more interesting if razing and capturing were more difficult.
If we actually had castles that were Strongholds, then more strategy would be needed.
That would lead to greater slug it out fighting between castles, instead of instant A-bomb annihilation.
AuKhan

Post by AuKhan »

I also think more people would play more aggressively in all worlds if they had less fear of losing everything while offline.

And more people would be willing to play on a Domination world if their castles were stronger.

Domination World is the best rule set world.
But, there is not much point in playing on a world that ends so quickly.
You barely get developed and the game ends.

Even with spending crowns on lots of cards, I am just now to the point where I feel ready for real action.
But the game ends in about 30 days... what a waste of my crowns and time.

Hopefully, this short lived world was just a test of the concept.
I know I will not spend any crowns again on another short time world.
In fact, I won't even play.

Return to “Domination World Lounge”