Kingdoms Anniversary - Daily Quiz!

Important announcements and patch notes will be posted here.
Forum rules
Please do not start any New Topics in this Forum.

This Forum is only to be used for News Posts related to updates and any other topics will be removed.
T.Culbert

Re: Kingdoms Anniversary - Daily Quiz!

Post by T.Culbert »

Flat land surrounded by a moat; for the reason that you can have both lots of farm land outside the castle and still have a great defense. The size of the moat was not specified, so I would make mine rather large, giving my archers enough time to shoot the enemy :)
trickthat

Post by trickthat »

Easy...both.....flat land leading to a moat with a spire in the middle next to a cliff with a waterfall on each side and a bridge to get to the keep....You can see over the plains below to see armies coming from three directions....then they have to cross the water to get to he cliffs and then have to scale the cliffs....easy pickings for arrows and rocks. Meanwhile, in a siege, you still have access to water caught from the waterfall. If the water comes off a plateau at the top (like Victoria falls), you will be able to see enemies coming from above as well, and they will have difficulty bringing in siege equipment due to the river and bridges required to cross the river, which can also be collapsed.
Attachments
160334736_d1.jpg
160334736_d1.jpg (27.55 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
DontBeaWuss

Post by DontBeaWuss »

Up on high! Not only does one have some natural protection...the views are rather good too!
mbaratta83

Post by mbaratta83 »

A mountain peak is an ideal spot on which to construct a castle, if only for perhaps the two most important reasons: it is more difficult for the enemy to stage an effective attack, and it is easier to defend with fewer troops. Let's look at some of these advantages in greater detail. First, the rugged terrain makes it more difficult if not impossible to bring along heavy siege equipment. Second, the enemy will of necessity need to attack upward, wearing out the attacking troops before they can even engage in the already physically arduous task of fighting; on the other side of the coin, the defenders will be fighting in a downward direction, making the use of projectiles and heavy, rolling objects more effective. Yet a third possible advantage is a more effective use of sally forth tactics. Mountain peaks often feature narrow defiles and passes which are perfect ambush spots and bottlenecks, essentially making for perfect death traps. A fourth thought that comes to mind is the weather; the higher altitudes involved means the chance for snow and other inclement weather is greater, meaning the attacker's men will live in discomfort and lose men to the extreme cold during a siege, while a well-provisioned castle will have defenders who are more consistently fresh.
fatcobra

Post by fatcobra »

i would like it on the top of a mountin with a moat right round it and burning lava flowing down all sides of the mountin
GriffMaster

Post by GriffMaster »

It's a castle...

On a mountain peak,
That makes people freak,
cos it takes a week,
to climb the creek,

Something so bleak,
It makes you weak,
It makes you reek,
And reds your cheeks,

You can't take a leak,
The rocks are antique,
You might slip n shriek,
and damage your sleek,
Dam beautiful physique,

If you, so to speak,
Meet a mountain peak,
Don't go medieval greek,
Just do a loud squeak,
"Let's Play hide and seek",
"All day and all week",

Lots of Love
GriffMaster
This is my work so please don't steal it.
[Edit - a word that didn't sit right]
MrSlinkySlinks

Post by MrSlinkySlinks »

I would rather create it in the mountains because the rocky terrain allows for really only a few key vital spots that you have to defend. However they both have their perks, for instance, the flat terrain allows for more building space and a more diverse selection of buildings as well as more wood available. But when it comes down to it I'd rather have defense than diversity so mountains it is. :D :) :lol:
gloflop

Post by gloflop »

If I look at real castles, then it is important to have less sides to defend. So if you e.g. build a castle at a waterfront then the enemy cannot attack from the water because (as already said) only Jesus is able to walk on water. However, the underlying assumption is that the enemy does not own boats.
For the same reason castles are built on high mountains. There is a path up to the castle but no other possibility to attack. What the attackers normally did was to build ramps.

Another aspect is the ability to defend the castle. Castles on the mountain have the advantage that shooting down has a wider range than shooting up a mountain and a better sight. Hence, the defender can fire arrows before the attacker can. However, the drawback normally is that it is hard to get water there since water flows down. Sometimes you find deep wells but they are costly to build.
For a castle at the waterfront the water is not the problem. The problem is rather the defence. The defender has less advantages compared to the attacker.

If I have to choose between the two castle design, I would prefer the mountain.
SeriousHawk

Post by SeriousHawk »

I would choose a flatter terrain because that way I can make layered walls with moats between them, slowing enemy attacks and add a bit of art work and engineering to the castle's design.
nr1stunner

Post by nr1stunner »

That's a hard one. I might rather build on something in bewtween but I'll go with a mountain because defense is the highest priority and a moat isn't the greatest defense. a mountain top is really the ultimate defensive location.

I guess either way could work. E.G. if you built a castle on an island in the middle of the lake, sorta like having a humongous moat, that could maybe work just as well. I still personally would do mine on a mountain top... better view.

A mountain isn't as practical for daily basis and if you could get away with it a flat area would be a lot more enjoyable but again, defense is the highest priority so that's why I had to go with mountain
Last edited by nr1stunner on Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News & Client Updates”