Illyriad

This is the first world using the The New Era System.
RobertScott

Re: Illyriad

Post by RobertScott »

Well as you know SKH is *wink * wink * on Alts since many of them are carders and hence revenue streams.

Illy is very good at weeding out alts, even folks trying to come in on different IPs, similar to the founder did not want it to be P2W, they are on top of all that.
Esoteric Paradigm

Post by Esoteric Paradigm »

Their forums don't seem to be very active - not that these forums are active much. What do you think of the game so far? Is there much that you miss from SHK? What are the esp nice features that you like on Illyriad?
RobertScott

Post by RobertScott »

What I miss about SHK would be the camaraderie and fun from the Glory days of the steam launch, when I was in a fun war and some good factions. I have not been able to recreate that experience since, with many language barriers in GC1, the tiny Houses of E4, and the bewildering percentage of players who join factions for protection and will not participate socially , ship goods to anyone, or learn the basics of being on TS and doing a timed attack together.

So what do I like about Illy:

ALLIANCE SIZE: Sort of a faction House Hybrid, 100 member capacity.

CHAT FEATURE: Global chat usually fun, good culture, learn about the complexities of the game, and clan chat in a separate window above it, live time

RESEARCH TREE: Very deep and complex but all logical.

TERRAIN: Makes a big difference in how your cities grow and military attacks go, sort of like Civ.

MAP SIZE: Huge, I think 8 million squares

COMPLEX MILITARY: What is or is not strong against something else is important, one has to make choices as what to research, and then what to actually place on the field, not primitive like in SHK.

NO CARDED INSTANT ARMIES where out of nowhere some clown builds a behemoth and destroys what took you months to build just because he is willing to spend a couple of c notes that night. There is something very wrong with FF's business model.

ACTIVE FRIENDLY DEVS: They host trivia contests in Global chat, monitor it all the time otherwise.

AN OVERALL PLEASANT CULTURE
Esoteric Paradigm

Thanks for the heads up. Going by the lack of posts on their main forums I would say the game has run out of steam just like SHK. SHK seems to have a handful of heavy spenders and the rest are just cannon fodder for them. Illyriad has been going a long time and the worlds never end so there are going to be some very very well setup players to contend with. Illyriad's forums and fansites seem to have peaked about 6-7 years ago when it looks to have peaked in popularity - maybe I am wrong but I always look at forums before playing a game and investing time in it. I would never play SHK if I was just starting out now.
RobertScott

Post by RobertScott »

Illyriad just launched on Steam January 2017. You are correct that the forum post activity here mirrors the game's peak and decline but it is a different dynamic in Illy, as so much is discussed in Global or Alliance chat. If the person one wants to talk to is not on, someone from their Alliance is. The GMs can and do address issues in Global chat. I do not think the game has peaked.

Give it a try it is between cheap ( bargain Prestige that accelerates building speed if you get the game via Steam ) to free ( bypass Steam and create account ).
Esoteric Paradigm

Maybe I will try it out - just have so much invested in SHK - so much time wasted on heretic earning zillions of card points. Oh well - atm I hardly feel like scouting even when surrounded by resouce stashes. In a way all I find fun is scouting for card points which in itself is pointless :)
Esoteric Paradigm

Illyriad looks real good atm - heaps of depth so steep learning curve but the people in chat are very helpful :)
MiladySkye

Post by MiladySkye »

Esoteric Paradigm wrote:Illyriad looks real good atm - heaps of depth so steep learning curve but the people in chat are very helpful :)
I think I will end up giving it a go as well later this week, so PM me if you have any helpful tips. :-)
When injustice is law, resistance becomes duty . . .
RobertScott

Post by RobertScott »

The helpful tips are better coming from the helpful Vets in Global Chat. I still have a great deal to learn about Illy.
Esoteric Paradigm

I like the game so far - global chat is quite busy with lots of helpful people who send help and answer questions very quickly. The community seems real nice.

Return to “EU4 World Lounge”