Lost newbie !!!

This EU World Two forum has been closed following the world closure.
NevaENUFF

Lost newbie !!!

Post by NevaENUFF »

So I started playing SHK (or re-started I should say since i played for 2-3 weeks with a friend last spring). I naturally went for the latest world and with it being only 35 days old I felt very (still do, sortve...) comfortable. I started on EU2, as I have on every other MMORTS, without any restraints or deep questioning of the game environment/mechanics/past history, planning to learn as I go like always. So I logged on, chose to place my 1rst city manually, in a less occupied/empty part of the map........
Little did I know that on EU2 ppl really settled according to their land of origin....! I just looked at the map as I did any other game thinking it's gonna be cool to play on the europeen map.
Now I'm deep in russian territory using google translate to "barely" be able to simply greet my neighbors. After 8 days i FINALLY spoke with 1 dude last night in Shakespeares language, he was really cool! Telling me how lucky I am cause hes probly the only guy in his faction/house who speaks english....

My problem; i steamrolled my way through the early stages, making SQUIRE this morning!!! (8 days, no help), uncountable great towers in both my castles, climbing the ranks as effectivly I can!
..... It was suggested to me to restart and relocate in a more accomodating area. "You can re-grow just aswell as u just did" Aye, that's agreed but the perspective of having to go back through the first VERY BORING days of a server makes me wanna vomit !!!!! And besides, who's to say the new spot will be better when i don't even know exactly what this one will have to offer... i DO know that the if i make the move it might aswell be now rather than wait another 8 days!

Having played for many years evony, Lord of Ultima, Illyriad etc... i know that this is a marathon and not at all a sprint. So 8 days is NOTHING in reality.... But part of me wants to duke it out over here with my google translate always close and maybe new perspectives, MOST IMPORTANTLY, stand my ground!!.... but then again HOW CAN U PLAY A TEAM GAME IF YOU CANT COMMUNICATE PROPERLY?!?!

So many contradictions......... :roll:

Any thoughts??
Gorgameth

Re: Lost newbie !!!

Post by Gorgameth »

Been there often pal, and I know how you feel. :) Been Lucky enough this time to be surrounded by more people who speak English then last time. I do agree that respawning right now might make it easier for you. If you settle in an area where you can communicate with people, then you'll build better ties with your Neighbors. Otherwise, you'll go your way, surrounded by people who barely understand you, until one day a mistake is done and you lose your villages.

Respawning elsewhere at the moment will be easier, since you won't lose all the techs and researches you've done so far. Plus, if you get somewhere with nice Neighbors, they might help you out rebuild your villages. You'll also be able to better organize your villages.

So all in all, you are faced with a situation where only you can decide which path you want to take, and regardless of your choice, each will have its shares of obstacles and rewards. :)
Greygamer

Post by Greygamer »

NevaENUFF wrote:So I started playing SHK (or re-started I should say since i played for 2-3 weeks with a friend last spring). I naturally went for the latest world and with it being only 35 days old I felt very (still do, sortve...) comfortable. I started on EU2, as I have on every other MMORTS, without any restraints or deep questioning of the game environment/mechanics/past history, planning to learn as I go like always. So I logged on, chose to place my 1rst city manually, in a less occupied/empty part of the map........
Little did I know that on EU2 ppl really settled according to their land of origin....! I just looked at the map as I did any other game thinking it's gonna be cool to play on the europeen map.
Now I'm deep in russian territory using google translate to "barely" be able to simply greet my neighbors. After 8 days i FINALLY spoke with 1 dude last night in Shakespeares language, he was really cool! Telling me how lucky I am cause hes probly the only guy in his faction/house who speaks english....

My problem; i steamrolled my way through the early stages, making SQUIRE this morning!!! (8 days, no help), uncountable great towers in both my castles, climbing the ranks as effectivly I can!
..... It was suggested to me to restart and relocate in a more accomodating area. "You can re-grow just aswell as u just did" Aye, that's agreed but the perspective of having to go back through the first VERY BORING days of a server makes me wanna vomit !!!!! And besides, who's to say the new spot will be better when i don't even know exactly what this one will have to offer... i DO know that the if i make the move it might aswell be now rather than wait another 8 days!

Having played for many years evony, Lord of Ultima, Illyriad etc... i know that this is a marathon and not at all a sprint. So 8 days is NOTHING in reality.... But part of me wants to duke it out over here with my google translate always close and maybe new perspectives, MOST IMPORTANTLY, stand my ground!!.... but then again HOW CAN U PLAY A TEAM GAME IF YOU CANT COMMUNICATE PROPERLY?!?!

So many contradictions......... :roll:

Any thoughts??
Pretty much why I left EU1 and have n o intention of doing any EU map. Problem is you have a lot of English speakers so no chance of being in that part of the map. Old nationalistic rivalries become the order of the day ... so not for me thanks very much
NevaENUFF

Post by NevaENUFF »

If I had an idea of where I was moving to maybe it could convince me but atm i have 0 guarentees it would be better in any way since i dont know anyone.

I see what you mean there abt nationalistic issues but that doesnt bother me at all, u always gonna have that anywhere u go. its "only" a language barrier in my opinion, nothing more. I'm sure I could make friends with anyone :) I've even been making the efforts to try and communicate in russian, altho google translate remains highly unreliable at times. Gotta make very simple sentences LoL
Gorgameth

Post by Gorgameth »

That's one of the challenges we get when we pick random locations. :) Had I wanted, I'd have started where I knew people who spoke my language started up, from threads mentionned on other worlds. In your case though, it would have been harder, not having played in a while. :)
Chaosu

Post by Chaosu »

I stared like you on EU1, as a total newbie on day 2 or 3 with not help from anyone. Middle of Belarus. I have stayed with the locals, learned a bunch and would never ever flip to winners/stronger houses just because of language. I'm still playing for Russians almost a year later.
NevaENUFF

Post by NevaENUFF »

Sounds good Chaosu, I'm sure it'll be loads of fun too!! From what i've heard on these guys so far is that theyr even crazier than I am!! :D And more importantly, loyal to no end!!!

Oh... and for the record.. I nvr said anything abt running from a fight! 8-)

If you search for me on the battlefield, check the frontlines ;)
DrSlate

Post by DrSlate »

Yeah, I'm having the same trouble. I've contacted about 12 of my neighbors by email, and about 2 have responded, and those were not, shall we say, lovely.

Starting over is not as bad as it sounds since the thing that really sucks getting started is the lack of skills more than the lack of supplies. If you want to join me and my buddy, you are welcome to contact me in game. I am in W. Romania and N.E. Serbia, trying to link up with my friend who started in W. Bulgaria. My faction (just him and me right now) is looking for active players with at least some interest in pvp. If you're our kind of people, I'll even help you rebuild. I've got wood and stone to spare, but my caravans are kinda slow, so you'd need to be close. We haven't chosen a house yet. I keep writing to member of H16, but they don't seem to want to talk so far. I'm a Page, btw. Been on the map for 9 days.

Always looking to make new friends

Return to “EU World Two Lounge (Closed)”