The End

World 1 was Closed following the Final Age completion.
DarkShado

Re: The End

Post by DarkShado »

Lord Alacrity wrote:
Unknownhost wrote:yup what david said.

Also, unless im mistaken i believe its been touted that none of the dev team members even play this game. which always seemed a little odd/unbelievable to me...
What? Haven't you heard? We're all playing in whichever house you are at war with this week on whichever world you play. Everyone knows that! ;)

You never know where Lord Alacrity is lurking always watch your cities LOL he may pop out of no where
and start attacking :)

The Devs are a sleeper cell waiting to be activated :) and come and take over the map LOL
SalukiFire

Post by SalukiFire »

1. The dev's can never take over because we have THE TERMINATOR.

2. I understand why dev's don't play this game. After working 10-12 (or even up to 18+) hours per day on this game where you have to play to test it, do you think they go home and boot up the game there? No matter how much fun the game is, you can't play it 24 hours per day for several years and not get bored.
Unknownhost

Post by Unknownhost »

i have trouble believing they do much play testing themselves whatsoever=p
Aidan0816

Post by Aidan0816 »

Unknownhost wrote:yup what david said.

only way we'll see a final age is when a world has too low a population base w/associated purchases to make keeping such a world active financially viable.

may not even be a "final age" in such a regard. game companies the last few years more and more have had occasion to merge worlds and even close their doors entirely. these are businesses after all, not charities.

Also, unless im mistaken i believe its been touted that none of the dev team members even play this game. which always seemed a little odd/unbelievable to me...

but such a thing makes the game 100% dollar revolving when the makers have no personal interest aside from the games income production. i mean every game aside from free emulators, are money based. when the guys making the game also play the game, how they can not care more than the guys who are significantly less involved as well as have a significantly deeper grasp on actual game mechanics vs percieved? those games tend to live longer. though shk still has many years of life left in it i'd suspect! =)
I don't think you really understand how developers feel about their games. Any developer loves the games they make, usually more so than you could ever imagine. You think they don't play? Sure they do. They just don't give away any details because people would think it is unfair, allegations of using dev resources to cheat, people get upset, quit, and game dies. They don't want this to happen anymore than you do.

A developer for an online game never wants to shut down their creation. Just like no writer wants their book series cancelled by the publisher, no actors want their shows cancelled, etc. Artists (and yes, developers are artists) are probably more upset about something that they have put, what is it for firefly, 6 years of their life into? I am sure that if (once) the game shuts down, the people who will be most upset about it are the people who made the game.
Unknownhost

Post by Unknownhost »

actually, i know exactly how they feel...if they played their games anyways.

cant imagine building a game and not being interested enough to play it yourself though. thats very alien to me.

you give game developers too much credit btw. many of them hate the games that they eventually turn out, some of them quite justifiably. its a paid job and no one person gets to do with any game exactly as they want too. some times the actual end result is dramatically different than the desired result.

Richard Garriott being the foremost example i can think of by the way, of people who put heart and soul into a game to only "ultimately" hate what it became. :oops:
Aidan0816

Post by Aidan0816 »

Most of the developers I know tend to be indie developers, so they pretty much have full reign over what happens in their game. It may be different with developers from larger studios, I'm not too sure about that.
SalukiFire

Post by SalukiFire »

my point is moreso that you have to realize that they work hard to develop this game, so they surely don't want to play it every minute of their free time. Much like how actors still love to act but don't want to do it 24 hours per day. Also, there comes a time to where people want to move on with new ideas.

This game won't go away, but surely the game worlds will eventually.
AuKhan

Post by AuKhan »

When the worlds get stale (as I hear most have) maybe the players can be allowed to migrate into a single followup world to continue.
Have a single world where players from different worlds can advance to after the end of the First Age glory round.
The single advanced world would be continuous and new players would have to jump into the deep end.
Let them respawn into the new world keeping their rank, honor, faith points and gold.
It would make for more exciting play.

Make that world a brutal domination world.

Or have two ultimate worlds to choose from, a Brutal Domination World, or a regular monk/farmer world.

Return to “USA World 1 Lounge (Closed)”