Weather

Lounge to discuss USA World 1.
Post Reply
User avatar
DavidSpy
Posts: 7163
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:08 am
Location: WI, USA
Contact:

Re: Weather

Post by DavidSpy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Guardian001 wrote:
DavidSpy wrote:
sorasdarkness wrote:
3-It doesn't really force players to stay active. Calculating for weather takes all of about 30 seconds, probably less. If you have a friend who plays the game they could even toss you a text 'hey weather dropped might want to change taxes real quick' and the end. If you don't have a friend weather changes at the same time every day so you have to log on quickly to check one time...I don't really consider logging on 1 time a day to click up the tax tab a few times 'active,' plus since it's fairly consistently negative you can just predict the negative weather by keeping taxes slightly lower and you're fine.
I was thinking more along the lines of players who only log into the game once a week(lots multis). If I log into a world and see negative weather I can easily counter it by dropping all taxes and bribing my peasants. This will get me into the peasant multiplier range for fast army builds, before I log out I restore my tax rate to what it was previous. Bad weather also encourages players to remove other negative factors from their parish such as The Wolf AI, bandits, disease, and wolf lairs.
So do you realize not everyone can do your stated actions?
Everyone(and I mean everyone) can bribe their peasants and in a new world (which this forum happens to be for) you can take out wolf lairs, bandit camps and rat castles at Thane rank. Heck, there probably won't be enough AIs for you because of all the players farming the AI for honor. Disease doesn't make an appearance in new worlds until about 15 or so days into that world and by that time you have plenty of opportunity to invest 1 rp in baptism to heal your parish.

For older worlds you are right, as a Thane you will not be taking out Wolf Castles or fighing a high level of disease but....if your steward is anywhere decent you just need to shoot him a nice mail and he will give you a helping hand undermost circumstances. Remove the AI castle, heal the parish, bless it even, send you resources. All these things he can do for himself and you as well.
Questions? You should join my Discord group
Helpful SHK Sites: SHK Advanced Guide | SHK Strategy
Check out my Stronghold Kingdoms tutorials on YouTube | RazingHell

ImageImage

Guardian001
Posts: 568
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:13 am

Re: Weather

Post by Guardian001 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:23 pm

DavidSpy wrote:


Everyone(and I mean everyone) can bribe their peasants and in a new world (which this forum happens to be for) you can take out wolf lairs, bandit camps and rat castles at Thane rank. Heck, there probably won't be enough AIs for you because of all the players farming the AI for honor. Disease doesn't make an appearance in new worlds until about 15 or so days into that world and by that time you have plenty of opportunity to invest 1 rp in baptism to heal your parish.

For older worlds you are right, as a Thane you will not be taking out Wolf Castles or fighing a high level of disease but....if your steward is anywhere decent you just need to shoot him a nice mail and he will give you a helping hand undermost circumstances. Remove the AI castle, heal the parish, bless it even, send you resources. All these things he can do for himself and you as well.
So you see thanes face a larger problem due to negative factors here. And in new worlds a thane does not have pikemen to deal with big Rats castles and the combination of Rat, bad weather and disease makes it very hard to rank up. Also thanes don't have enough faith points to actually heal the disease..... Oh and my area is filled with AI and disease, maybe thats why i'm complaining so much :D
Active on USA 2
Proud free player

sorasdarkness
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:03 am

Re: Weather

Post by sorasdarkness » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:40 pm

DavidSpy wrote:
sorasdarkness wrote:
3-It doesn't really force players to stay active. Calculating for weather takes all of about 30 seconds, probably less. If you have a friend who plays the game they could even toss you a text 'hey weather dropped might want to change taxes real quick' and the end. If you don't have a friend weather changes at the same time every day so you have to log on quickly to check one time...I don't really consider logging on 1 time a day to click up the tax tab a few times 'active,' plus since it's fairly consistently negative you can just predict the negative weather by keeping taxes slightly lower and you're fine.
I was thinking more along the lines of players who only log into the game once a week(lots multis). If I log into a world and see negative weather I can easily counter it by dropping all taxes and bribing my peasants. This will get me into the peasant multiplier range for fast army builds, before I log out I restore my tax rate to what it was previous. Bad weather also encourages players to remove other negative factors from their parish such as The Wolf AI, bandits, disease, and wolf lairs.
You must only be talking about late game, I've never once increased taxes beyond a positive or negative multiplier of 0 because honor is more important than money, but I don't have an economy that can sustain bribing, I'm currently a Page. If people have multiple accounts (which I assume is what you mean by multis) taking 30 seconds to regulate your alt account because of weather isn't particularly difficult, then they can switch right back to the main account.

I feel like you're cherry picking your argument, even if it's true that weather badly inhibits players that only log on once a week, that doesn't negate my two previous points (that it deflates players and that there are other controllable ways to inhibit growth).

User avatar
DavidSpy
Posts: 7163
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:08 am
Location: WI, USA
Contact:

Re: Weather

Post by DavidSpy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:43 pm

Guardian001 wrote: So you see thanes face a larger problem due to negative factors here. And in new worlds a thane does not have pikemen to deal with big Rats castles and the combination of Rat, bad weather and disease makes it very hard to rank up. Also thanes don't have enough faith points to actually heal the disease..... Oh and my area is filled with AI and disease, maybe thats why i'm complaining so much :D
You are missing the crucial point that in new worlds the Rat castles are not big, the disease is nonexistent for a good 15 days and in a new world AI castles(especially a rat!) hardly last out the day before someone kills it for the honor.
sorasdarkness wrote: You must only be talking about late game, I've never once increased taxes beyond a positive or negative multiplier of 0 because honor is more important than money,
If honor was indeed more important you would have your economy running at max bribes from the first 2 weeks or so.
sorasdarkness wrote:but I don't have an economy that can sustain bribing, I'm currently a Page.
All that means is you didn't research enough production techs, probably focused too heavily on military. If you aren't a carder in a new world you should pretty much focus solely on your village economy, this is the fastest way to progress for free.
sorasdarkness wrote: If people have multiple accounts (which I assume is what you mean by multis) taking 30 seconds to regulate your alt account because of weather isn't particularly difficult, then they can switch right back to the main account.
Your reasoning here is null though I won't get into why because of the delicate nature of the subject, suffice to say it's going to take you much longer than 30 seconds.
sorasdarkness wrote:I feel like you're cherry picking your argument, even if it's true that weather badly inhibits players that only log on once a week,
that doesn't negate my two previous points (that it deflates players and that there are other controllable ways to inhibit growth)
The game has controllable mechanics which inhibit growth; AI castles, Wolf Lairs, Bandit Camps, Disease, Inquisition. I find it strange you so viciously attack the one mechanic which wasn't controllable as if it made or broke the game(which is does not). Once you get past the first 15 days of a new world the weather becomes much less of a factor because players are better prepared to deal with the negative popularity. So, as you say, a Thane is struggling with -30 in pop due to weather but by the time that weather rolls around again he will probably be an alderman or a gentleman and much better equipped to handle negative popularity. The only compromise I could agree to on the weather debate is maybe lowbies should get a break on the weather similar to the break they get for castle unenclosed during the early ranks.
Questions? You should join my Discord group
Helpful SHK Sites: SHK Advanced Guide | SHK Strategy
Check out my Stronghold Kingdoms tutorials on YouTube | RazingHell

ImageImage

Guardian001
Posts: 568
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:13 am

Re: Weather

Post by Guardian001 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:58 pm

DavidSpy wrote:


The game has controllable mechanics which inhibit growth; AI castles, Wolf Lairs, Bandit Camps, Disease, Inquisition. I find it strange you so viciously attack the one mechanic which wasn't controllable as if it made or broke the game(which is does not). Once you get past the first 15 days of a new world the weather becomes much less of a factor because players are better prepared to deal with the negative popularity. So, as you say, a Thane is struggling with -30 in pop due to weather but by the time that weather rolls around again he will probably be an alderman or a gentleman and much better equipped to handle negative popularity. The only compromise I could agree to on the weather debate is maybe lowbies should get a break on the weather similar to the break they get for castle unenclosed during the early ranks.
So finally you agree with me :lol: :lol:
DavidSpy wrote:
You are missing the crucial point that in new worlds the Rat castles are not big, the disease is nonexistent for a good 15 days and in a new world AI castles(especially a rat!) hardly last out the day before someone kills it for the honor.
Its not day 15 into USA 1, and my parish is full of diseases. Its been sending out plague rats to multiple parishes around it since when the storms began. And there are 2-3 Rats castles appearing every day around here and nobody feels to remove them except me :D
Active on USA 2
Proud free player

User avatar
DavidSpy
Posts: 7163
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:08 am
Location: WI, USA
Contact:

Re: Weather

Post by DavidSpy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:16 pm

Guardian001 wrote: So finally you agree with me :lol: :lol:
We may be in agreement on this in particular but you still made propositions I do not agree with.
Guardian001 wrote:Its not day 15 into USA 1, and my parish is full of diseases. Its been sending out plague rats to multiple parishes around it since when the storms began. And there are 2-3 Rats castles appearing every day around here and nobody feels to remove them except me :D
Yeah it's around 30 days now for the USA server, I've pretty much considered it the duty of the parish Steward to remove disease and have always done so myself. If your steward isn't then he deserves a tongue lashing. ;)

You've got that many AI castles around you really should be counting your blessings; Rat Castles are dog easy to destroy even at lower lvls. In developed worlds the average wolf lair is stronger than the Rat.
Questions? You should join my Discord group
Helpful SHK Sites: SHK Advanced Guide | SHK Strategy
Check out my Stronghold Kingdoms tutorials on YouTube | RazingHell

ImageImage

Guardian001
Posts: 568
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:13 am

Re: Weather

Post by Guardian001 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:26 pm

DavidSpy wrote:

Yeah it's around 30 days now for the USA server, I've pretty much considered it the duty of the parish Steward to remove disease and have always done so myself. If your steward isn't then he deserves a tongue lashing. ;)

You've got that many AI castles around you really should be counting your blessings; Rat Castles are dog easy to destroy even at lower lvls. In developed worlds the average wolf lair is stronger than the Rat.
Actually i am the steward of the parish and i have just joined recently ( not even 10 days) So don't expect me to clear 2-3 Rats castles on my own and clean such a diseased parish....
DavidSpy wrote: We may be in agreement on this in particular but you still made propositions I do not agree with.
And what do you disagree with?
Active on USA 2
Proud free player

sorasdarkness
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:03 am

Re: Weather

Post by sorasdarkness » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:30 pm

DavidSpy wrote:
If honor was indeed more important you would have your economy running at max bribes from the first 2 weeks or so.

All that means is you didn't research enough production techs, probably focused too heavily on military. If you aren't a carder in a new world you should pretty much focus solely on your village economy, this is the fastest way to progress for free.

Your reasoning here is null though I won't get into why because of the delicate nature of the subject, suffice to say it's going to take you much longer than 30 seconds.

The game has controllable mechanics which inhibit growth; AI castles, Wolf Lairs, Bandit Camps, Disease, Inquisition. I find it strange you so viciously attack the one mechanic which wasn't controllable as if it made or broke the game(which is does not). Once you get past the first 15 days of a new world the weather becomes much less of a factor because players are better prepared to deal with the negative popularity. So, as you say, a Thane is struggling with -30 in pop due to weather but by the time that weather rolls around again he will probably be an alderman or a gentleman and much better equipped to handle negative popularity. The only compromise I could agree to on the weather debate is maybe lowbies should get a break on the weather similar to the break they get for castle unenclosed during the early ranks.
I researched solely production techs and honor buildings. However I calculated that the first purchased town costs me about 30k gold to get running (counting the 10k for the purchase). Which means the second village I purchase is going to cast at least 40k (probably closer to 50k as I have more gold cost buildings researched than I did before), I'm sitting at 38k right now and will be lvl 15 soon, so even with production building research you can't afford to constantly bribe peasants early if you expect to get villages faster. You cannot bribe peasants early because you don't have the money to keep it up.

Saying the reasoning is null and not explaining why doesn't really help me see your point...

I never said it breaks the game, I said its superfluous, it's not needed, for virtually every reason you've given as to why weather is 'needed' there are better ways to accomplish the task without needlessly frustrating the populace, calling it weather is only deceitful as its obvious they're using it with the primary purpose of stagnating growth.

DekeYoungAtlanta
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Weather

Post by DekeYoungAtlanta » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:31 pm

The Pendulem swung to the sunny side for a while and is back to overcast.

Date Day Type
-4 9 -36

29-Jul-13 26 1 Storms -30
30-Jul-13 27 1 Heavy Rain -24
31-Jul-13 28 1 Rain -18
1-Aug-13 29 1 Showers -12
2-Aug-13 30 1 Overcast 0
3-Aug-13 31 1 Sunny Spells 12
4-Aug-13 32 1 Fine Weather 18
5-Aug-13 33 1 Fine Weather 18
6-Aug-13 34 1 Overcast 0

Guardian001
Posts: 568
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:13 am

Re: Weather

Post by Guardian001 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Its gonna start showering again i bet
Active on USA 2
Proud free player

Post Reply

Return to “USA World 1 Lounge”