The thirst for power...

This World 5 forum has been closed following the world closure.
ginsengsamurai

The thirst for power...

Post by ginsengsamurai »

Just some food for thought coinciding the current happenings in World 5. The young uns may not get it. Well the old ones may not get it either, but regardless, it's something to think about. Add your own if you like or complete/dissect mine.

As with historical and modern day warfare, I can be considered a strategist, rather than a commander. My role in the faction I am part of is more of an adviser than a leader. With that said, I offer the following advice that I normally would only share with my allies and faction peers:

----->

A shogun once remarked (paraphrased) that the mountain should never be moved whatever the purpose or reason may be, even if that reasoning means the end of the world is coming.

With that said, the thirst for power and revenge is great, as old battle wounds open up with every breath you make. People often look at their own pockets and seek bigger wealth, but almost always fail at realizing just how steady their feet are upon the land they tread.

Think for a moment: when offered power, is it power that you can keep or is it power that are simply shifted momentarily?

As my mentor once said to me before he retired to raise his young children (he's in his 60's): the promise for power can be a glorious fantasy, but power without stability is like dust in the wind.

----->

Lastly, the end days are coming whether you want it or not. If you seek to prolong the world, all you will get is staled 'progress' which as you can see, is somewhat of a paradox of words. If you ally yourself with those that promise you longevity, then you are sorely mislead. All things have an end. You either embrace it and leave a legacy or you try to stretch it out and be swallowed up with diluted stories of past glories.
thekpd

Re: The thirst for power...

Post by thekpd »

The second age in world 5, is going to be interesting. Alot of things are going to change. People who may not have had power, or influence may find themselves in uncharted waters very rapidly.
Adawulf

Post by Adawulf »

Strategists are a dime a dozen. Fighters are worth their weight in gold. Fighters should talk, "strategist" should listen and learn how to become fighters.
ginsengsamurai

Post by ginsengsamurai »

Adawulf wrote:Strategists are a dime a dozen. Fighters are worth their weight in gold. Fighters should talk, "strategist" should listen and learn how to become fighters.
I believe you have that backwards. Fighters are a dime a dozen. The value of a fighter is in the short scheme of things. Mind you, there are many more farmers than there are fighters and strategists combined.

On the other hand, strategists plan for the grand scheme of things including but not limited to integrating a spy network within friends and foes, injecting rumor into various but specific ears to cause uncertainty, to observe and research the chain of loyalties and find its weakest link, to advise the Faction General and the officers on the most notable course of actions.

In short, indeed fighters are worth their weight in gold because that's what they are: fighters as currency to be used in war. Pawns to be used as pieces to further the ambition of the strategists.

PS: The best strategists gets hands on experience from following their generals into battle. In other words, if you ever see our banner fly in the wind across that battlefield, be sure that you would find me there with our armies. ^_~
thekpd wrote:The second age in world 5, is going to be interesting. Alot of things are going to change. People who may not have had power, or influence may find themselves in uncharted waters very rapidly.
I'm looking forward to see what happens in the aftermath of things.
Adawulf

Post by Adawulf »

No ginseng. Everyone is a strategist. Everyone can plan and think but few can actually put those plans into action. Strategists have no value without fighters to actually implement them. A person who doesn't play the game at all could look at the map and "strategize". There is no value in that. it is valueless. With all due respect, you are valueless to your faction in every regard other than perhaps holding a parish or two for them. You're value to yourself comes from a misplaced feeling of your own importance, and a belief that you are able to see things that others cannot. This is just an illusion as I will explain below.

In every faction there are only a handful of good fighters. In this entire world there are perhaps 20. But there are hundreds and hundreds, of useless strategists like yourself who all think they are geniuses. We don't need more of you. We need fighters. Particularly fighters with conviction and backbone of which there are perhaps 3 that I have met in all my time playing.

In your case, not only are merely a strategist, you are a common strategist who has offered nothing new or innovative in your thinking. You're simply advocating the same sheepish submission to what you believe to be inevitable as every other non-fighter. This is not new. it is not innovative. It is boorishly common and without value even as a mere strategy. Word 5 is already doing what you are advocating. They are already bending over and accepting the "inevitable" death of the world and domination by a single house. I suppose you could call yourself "the Sheep's advocate" in the sense that you attempt to advocate and justify the behavior of sheep. As opposed to the Shephard who guides you are simply among them.

Thus in conclusion, not only are you valueless as a fighter, you are valueless as a strategist. You bring nothing new to the table for your leader. You merely reinforce the common norm and justify the actions of the herd which is already doing what you propose. If anything you are the voice of the sheep baaaying your submission into the air. A wise leader would dismiss you.
s0smo0the

Post by s0smo0the »

ginsengsamurai wrote:Just some food for thought coinciding the current happenings in World 5.
----->

Think for a moment: when offered power, is it power that you can keep or is it power that are simply shifted momentarily?

As my mentor once said to me before he retired to raise his young children (he's in his 60's): the promise for power can be a glorious fantasy, but power without stability is like dust in the wind.
Yeah thats what I mean when I see 400 + members in 1 House as H1 what would those factions be if they stood alone? or in other houses. some are abusing H1 colors and the might of the top factions. and alot of parishs was stolen by H1 members simply by daring parish to vote against them, as all houses I hear. but if you have 1 village in the parish monk your way in against farmers, with the protection of that red flag. ALOT of you would have been razed out without fear of other H1 members.

which goes to being a fighter or sheep farmer
Adawulf

Post by Adawulf »

A good strategist can look at a situation that appears impossible and come up with new ways of thinking that make it possible. But that's not what this guy is doing. He's merely saying that it can't be done, so why try? And he has the audacity to call himself a strategist! Better terms for those types of thinkers are; Spectator, arm-chair general, bean-counter, defeatist or follower.

If there are any real strategists out there reading this, here's a project for you;

There is one house that utterly dominates our world. As a result we are speeding along to the 2nd age. Assuming arguendo that the 2nd age is not desirable, how would you go about stopping them?
thekpd

Post by thekpd »

Adawulf wrote:A good strategist can look at a situation that appears impossible and come up with new ways of thinking that make it possible. But that's not what this guy is doing. He's merely saying that it can't be done, so why try? And he has the audacity to call himself a strategist! Better terms for those types of thinkers are; Spectator, arm-chair general, bean-counter, defeatist or follower.

If there are any real strategists out there reading this, here's a project for you;

There is one house that utterly dominates our world. As a result we are speeding along to the 2nd age. Assuming arguendo that the 2nd age is not desirable, how would you go about stopping them?

You dont. You let the second age come. House 1 should win this first age without hesitation. SO we can get on with the 2nd age.
Like I said earlier... this second age comes with great changes, and new players who will emerge as not just great warriors, but strategists.
ginsengsamurai

Post by ginsengsamurai »

Adawulf wrote:A good strategist can look at a situation that appears impossible and come up with new ways of thinking that make it possible. But that's not what this guy is doing. He's merely saying that it can't be done, so why try? And he has the audacity to call himself a strategist! Better terms for those types of thinkers are; Spectator, arm-chair general, bean-counter, defeatist or follower.
*cough* I have bronchitis. ;)

Firstly, I never said prolonging cannot be done. Of course it can be done. Ha! I was saying that you shouldn't try to prolong it as TheKPD pointed out. Thanks KPD for the smack upside Adawulf's head.

Also the first three quarters of my statement wasn't about prolonging the war, nor was it about not being able to do anything about it. As modest, but also as straightforward as I could put this, like I said, I never expect many people to understand my words. I did try to make it less metaphorical, but then the point about "reading between the lines" would be too easily decoded. ;)

Second, I have a secondary 'hidden' message in there for my allies. An 'inside joke' so to speak. Again, not something I would expect someone like you to see nor understand.

Lastly, I love how you assume so much about me: a bean counter, a follower, a farmer... Yet you have never once until this moment here on this message board interacted with me. Ah, you must be a... *chuckles* No no, I must not say it. I should be civilized, even though you have made these vast assumptions of me.
Adawulf

Post by Adawulf »

Get over yourself Ginseng. You aren't a factor here and I'm just a small part of W5 like yourself. The debate is about players, the SHK team, revenue, and what makes the game fun for us.

I admire the fighters who are making a stand against what appears to be inevitable, and I have contempt for the sheep. Especially the most recent additions to the bandwagon from H3 who are particularly pathetic. Players get scared, they don't want to lose their villages, so they either join the herd, or they go neutral. By this process the herd grows and consumes everything. Normally that would be OK, and just a natural part of online gaming that we have all seen many times. But with the addition of this 2nd age trigger, things have become very different. Now, fighting against the sheep takes on a new urgency.

Another good analogy (but maybe too real to apply to a game) would be the Native Americans trying to staunch the endless flow of European settlers who brought with them another kind of 2nd age. Was it for the best, or was it for the worst? Change is not always good, and even if hopeless I admire the fighters who stand against it.

It's a financial decision on the part of SHK. They believe they will make more money with these new rules. New servers always make good cash for the first couple of months, then the cash-flow stagnates. The thinking is that more new servers = more revenue, and old servers need to be phased out. Faster pace, more servers, more cash. It wouldn't be the first time a game was killed by accountants.

Return to “World 5 Lounge (Closed)”