Shield Designer

This World 3 forum has been closed following the world closure.
Softy

Shield Designer

Post by Softy » Fri May 25, 2012 9:30 am

Why do FF shoot themselves in the foot so much?
After spending many happy hours trying to get into the shield designer and only getting a completely blank page I have worked out the problem finally. It simply does not work with 64-bit Internet Explorer which, like many Windows 7 users, is my default. That meant I had to start up a 32-bit IE page before trying to get to the designer. Then it tells me I have to load a Google addon to make it work with IE.

About 90% of people use IE and lots of them use 64-bit now. FF techies may like to play in minority browsers but they are a business and surely they should cater for the vast majority first (IE users) and the rest after. Even if they decided to ignore 64-bit why not post a warning telling us that rather than leaving us to work it out? If my programmers created applications with such bad testing and did not cater for IE first I would sack them.

P.S. Since installing the add-on I have had awful trouble getting into this forum to post. When trying to post it asks me to log in, accepts my username/password and says I am logged in, then continues to repeatedly ask again and again. This time I had to do the opposite, close the windows I had open, start a 64-bit screen (where I assume the addon is not installed) and then it let me log in.

Pathetic testing. Heads should roll.

Viscount Reeves

Re: Shield Designer

Post by Viscount Reeves » Fri May 25, 2012 11:44 am

You don't need to be a techie to play in a 'minority' browser, in fact IE only accounts for around 20% of web traffic and the number of people using IE is still dropping.
The reason companies and people don't like IE is that it has poor support for many modern web standards, the most recent big issue being about HTML5 and whatever SK are using for there Shield Editor.
Personally I find chrome to be the best, it's fast, clean looking and has a good amount of add-ons, plus the freaking address bar can be used for google searches which speeds things up.
My advice, is the same as googles 'upgrade to a more modern browser'.

Sources:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Jumpin

Post by Jumpin » Fri May 25, 2012 12:04 pm

Name: shield.xhtml
Type: Unknown File Type, 502kB

Google Chrome Frame add on for IE 8 fixed my problem. I'm using IE 9

IE is fine by me, I was weened on Microsoft after DOS <^.^>

ejchits@hotmail.com

Post by ejchits@hotmail.com » Fri May 25, 2012 4:10 pm

I don't know if anyone would know, but I'm having trouble accessing the new options in the shield designer that unlock when you rank up. I've been Viscount for over 24 hours now and I still can't access the rank 18 designs. Anyone have any insights?

Secretsquirrel73

Post by Secretsquirrel73 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:02 pm

Why in gods name does anyone still use IE. That thing is terrible. Its slow, buggy, easy to compromise and just a huge lack of functionality. Get Chrome or Firefox, because alot of companies will not be supporting IE sooner or later.

monkeymantjg

Post by monkeymantjg » Sat May 26, 2012 4:21 am

I just installed fire fox and made a cool shield but for some reason I can see my shield but when others looks it is the original black and white shield?

Softy

Post by Softy » Sat May 26, 2012 9:54 am

@secretsquirrel
I like IE, thats why I use it. Even if I did not it makes no difference to my point, it should still have been catered for properly as the biggest around - "sooner or later" does not come into it, everyone has to support something used by millions. If FF knew that 64-bit IE would not work then we should have been told, if they didn't know - why not?

Also since installing the google addon to the 32-bit IE I still cannot post in these forums using it. It asks for my username/password and accepts them, and then asks for them again. So for shield designer I have to use 32 bit, for forums 64 bit. That is not good programming or design.

It is not about what your browser preference is, it is about professionals not doing their job well.

Viscount Reeves

Post by Viscount Reeves » Sat May 26, 2012 12:37 pm

It's not that FF don't cater for IE, but IE doesn't support more up to date features on the web.

Nemesis3000

Post by Nemesis3000 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:15 am

The only reason millions use IE is to download other web browser. The only people I know still using IE are my parents.
Lord of Caerleon.

rock_hound119

Post by rock_hound119 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:02 pm

Nemesis, even my parents don't use IE anymore. My grandparents still do though.

Return to “World 3 Lounge (Closed)”