Incentives to help prevent one house world rule.

If you’d like to give us feedback on Stronghold Kingdoms please do so here.
countjimula

Incentives to help prevent one house world rule.

Post by countjimula »

It started with only world 2 and the Celtic Alliance, but now it seems just about every world is run by one house. It seems many players have figured out how to rule everything and everybody. It is just too easy to stay on top once you get there, and it is by far more easy to join a winning team than to defeat it.

Edit: Summary:
I would like a glory reward system that more closely fits the actual achievements of the players, factions, houses, and the length of time the game is played.

What we have now, when all you have to do to get the reward is be in the winning house at the end of the age, fits a much faster risk type game much better than it fits this game.

Mainly I want to remove the political card that is "work for us and we will invite you into our faction to win the glory reward at the and of the age". With that political card all you have to do is make people think you are likely to win and it gives you a great advantage. Why fight when all you have to do is join the winning team. Why fight the winning team when they have such a card to play, and if you do not beat them you get nothing. This upsets the balance between war and politics and makes the game lean far more toward a political game than a battle game.

Once a house has world power it can just sit that way for the entire glory age as many worlds are doing now, due to the advantage given the house in power. Right now the more power a house has the easier it is to keep its power creating a viscous cycle that kills the challenge for the house in power, and the inceptive for anyone to challenge that house.

I would replace the one big end of the age glory reward with glory points (or anything else you want to call them) that can be saved up, or traded in for prizes.

A house marshal would earn all the glory points and bonuses available based on:

How many capitals the player has not counting parishes (counties and up) this would give him the most glory points for each capital controlled.

How many capitals (counties and up) his faction controls, a percent bonus is added for being faction general, and a loyalty percent bonus is given for being in the faction for multiple glory rounds. Each capital building the faction holds would give the player less glory points than the capitals he holds himself.

How many capitals (counting parishes this time) his house has, and again a percent bonus for being house marshal and another loyalty percent bonus being in the house for multiple glory rounds. This would give him less glory points for each capital than he got from the capitals owned by players in his faction.

Notes:
The glory points earned by capitals the player owns are given either daily or over time much like faith points. Glory points that come from the faction or house are put in a cue and only given to the player if they have been a member for the entire glory round.

The loyalty bonus for staying in the faction or house goes up each glory round until it reaches the maximum level, if the player leaves the faction the bonus disappears and has to build up again when joining a new faction. If the player leaves a house a separate house loyalty bonus is reset. I see this bonus peaking after 3-5 glory rounds. Any special prize for winning the age is only given to players that have the maximum loyalty bonus (about 3-5 glory rounds) for the winning house at the end of the age.

All parishes only give a small bonus to the members of the house the parish is in, regardless of what faction the steward is in, or who owns the parish. This is to help prevent petty infighting over parishes.

The game will have to be changed so there is no reason to drop out of the faction to defensively attack your own parish and capitals.

Any rewards only apply to the world the player is in, so you can not just farm in the winning house in multiple world to get multiple rewards to use in your playing world.

Cards that speed up research or Finnish it can only be purchased with glory points (and used in the same world).

The individual rewards, and bonuses can be manipulated by FF in updates to create a balance between players joining others, or starting their own faction, that would make, I think, a much more competitive, and fun game.

The glory race would still go on much like it is now, only the prizes and the way rewards are given out will change.

A single player would earn more glory points if he was the Sheriff if he is the only member of his faction than if he was not in a faction. He would earn points for being the Sheriff, points for his faction owning a county, and a bonus for being a faction general. I see this as a good way to encourage the few players that are sheriffs but not members of a faction to create one and not a flaw.

Do you think this is an issue in the game? Do you have any other suggestions?

Original posts here http://forum.strongholdkingdoms.com/vie ... 16&t=24788
and in addition http://forum.strongholdkingdoms.com/vie ... 16&t=25503
Last edited by countjimula on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
We need more incentives to help prevent one house world rule in this game!

Thread here:
http://forum.strongholdkingdoms.com/vie ... 16&t=24768

DavidSpy

Re: Incentives to help prevent one house world rule.

Post by DavidSpy »

Your concerns are in fact being taken into consideration for the Fourth Age. http://forum.strongholdkingdoms.com/vie ... 07#p126207
Questions? You should join my Discord group
Helpful SHK Sites: SHK Advanced Guide | SHK Strategy
Check out my Stronghold Kingdoms tutorials on YouTube | RazingHell

ImageImage

Uvon

Post by Uvon »

This is something that needs to be addressed in the basic rule set of the game, for all ages.
Uvon - World 4 / World 7

countjimula

Post by countjimula »

I now feel that an extension of the honor penalty for powerful players as I stated in my first post unfairly punishes accomplished players at best, and is patently unfair over all.

I have an alternative proposal here:
http://forum.strongholdkingdoms.com/vie ... 16&t=24788

Any thoughts or comments?

Thread here:

thekpd

Post by thekpd »

DavidSpy wrote:Your concerns are in fact being taken into consideration for the Fourth Age. http://forum.strongholdkingdoms.com/vie ... 07#p126207

lmao... yeah... I'm not sticking around for 2 more ages of this * :)

countjimula

Post by countjimula »

thekpd wrote:
DavidSpy wrote:Your concerns are in fact being taken into consideration for the Fourth Age. http://forum.strongholdkingdoms.com/vie ... 07#p126207

lmao... yeah... I'm not sticking around for 2 more ages of this * :)
I feel that they can not make such big changes as suggested in the middle of the current age in all worlds, but I feel implementing something for all worlds after the current world's ages are over would be fair.

So it would hypothetically be just until the current age is over :)

Thread here:

Biotot

Post by Biotot »

The biggest problem with it is that FF is being asked to patch a work-around for human nature.

It wasn't intended for all of the strongest players to join one house, but with the bonuses of being in the winning house at the end of an age people started flocking there for the rewards alone.

Personally I think somewhat of a remedy would be to remove the card back bonus from being in the winning house. All it does is encourage one house ruling each server since all of the best players feel they 'deserve' the reward and don't want to finish an age empty handed.
They tried to excom 5 people
A sane person wouldn't do maintenance on 30 villages and continue to call it fun. W6, now farmville for all.

SaintPhillip

Post by SaintPhillip »

-Human Natrure is curbed by "game mechanics"- Plain and simple.

Yeah, I have played a plethora of strategy games and never seen the one sided-ness I have seen here in my short time- Its because the "game mechanics" are thus that it does not allow one sidedness to such an extent.

The problem here is obvious to me- Finite Worlds which never end...Period. Thats why there is not, nor will there ever be any real competion on any World for more than the "set-up" phase. Within a few months a new World opens, those who do not control the board jump ship, steamroll ensues- Rinse, repeat.

Victory conditions are needed which (when met) close the server. Absent of doing this there will always be "one house to rule them all" and zero incentive to actually fight back if you dont have the "start" you wanted once a new server opens.

Because THAT is humasn nature- If you are not winning in the first 3 months and a new chance to "win" opens up, the p-ath of least resistance is generally taken- As more leave (from the non dominant house) it reaches a point where its pointless to even try and oppose them and it snowballs.

I IMPLORE the devs to take a look at Dominions 3 or SI- Games need to end or this will always be the result. There are far too many servers (and more coming all the time it seems) already and since they never end it just further seperates the playerbase.

-I think I am finishing this glory round and am going into maitenence mode- I honestly feel the time I spent was kind of wasted at this point. Loving the game, but as has been stated- You are either on a side which cannot lose or cannot win- Its just not fun since its not com petitive at all and "winning" means nothing to me if its a cake walk (I would rather lose and be challenged) and since I dont see things changing and in fact, getting worse- My disappointment grows.

One house will always be dominent since (and mainly because) a new world will open every 3-4 months and "alliances" will work because the game does not end and the leaders in the "alliances" jump into the winning House to get the glory win- IF THE GAME HAD AN ENDING these alliances * fall since the game would really be over once victory conditions were met (no jumping into a house for rewards and then back to another glory slog)-

Ever play Risk or Axis and Allies (board games)? When one person starts to really win everyone turns on them- Why? because the game is going to be OVER... In this game I could see neutrals even joining the fight because if you cannot stop House X everything goes and they WIN...

Frankly the game mechanics encourage the "one house to rule them all" mentality and I am pretty sure I know why (and why it wont change) and I am not going to get into it- But it sucks....

meatball2k

Post by meatball2k »

I think they where planning on ending it after the 3rd age but everyone was moaning sayin we have spent money bla bla bla so they give up on that idea, someone mentioned removing rewards I sound like broken record I know but someone tell me the bad points to what I will suggest, MASSIVE REWARDS AND LESS FACTIONS, also throw in lesss glroy rounds 3 houses removed each round maybe, lets speed it up!!

DavidSpy

Post by DavidSpy »

As some of you may recall, players strongly opposed the idea to close old worlds. Besides, most of those players would have quit had the old world(s) they played on been closed. These players had risen to the top already, they had completed their 4 branches of the tech tree and had absolutely no desire to do it again.

I guess they didn't relish the idea of getting stuck in "Groundhog Day".
Questions? You should join my Discord group
Helpful SHK Sites: SHK Advanced Guide | SHK Strategy
Check out my Stronghold Kingdoms tutorials on YouTube | RazingHell

ImageImage

Return to “Feedback”